Saturday, March 21, 2009

Forever Odd, Dean Koontz

Forever Odd
Dean Koontz
Series: Book 2, Odd Thomas


PRE-READ

When I was younger, I was a huge Stephen King Fan. I had read a little of DK, but kinda stayed away from it because every DK book had an author photo on the back, instead of a summary. (It's a pet peeve of mine) In the last year, however, I've read at least a dozen of DK's books, maybe a dozen and a half. And there have been some good one: The Taking, From the Corner of his eye, Good Guy and Odd Thomas. The main thing i like about both of them is suspended belief. Before you crack the cover, you know at some point you will have to suspend your belief that everything around you is normal. Alien raindrops? no problem. Talking to the dead? Ask me something hard. Re-animated movie monster, or '54 Chevy? Right back 'atcha.

This is also the first trade book I've received from SwapTree. It also doesn't hurt that I've got book 3 on hold at The Next Chapter.

MID-POINT:

DK is one smart guy. how else could he write such a touching, irrevrent novel? I mean, these characters are witty, probing, and funny as hell. and It's not just Odd; it's his overweight mentor, the police chief, almost every recurring character. He has ELVIS in these novels, and it doesn't come across as cheesy. How good do you have to be to pull that one off?

I stand amazed.

AFTER THE FINAL CHAPTER:

As usual, great read. Instead of another increadable ending, DK set it up to flow into the next book. (Have i mentioned i have it on hold?)

FINAL VERDICT:
HB, 1st Edition, signed.

No comments:

Post a Comment